Only in Gallup
Top 25 Things to Do & See (Gallup/Region 1)
1. Shopping the best prices, widest variety of top quality Native American art. (Year round)
2. Competing on the World Class “High Desert” Mountain Bike trail in the “Dawn ‘til Dusk” mountain bike race. (Each year in May)
3. Experiencing culture through the free Nightly Indian Dances. (Every evening - Memorial Day through Labor Day)
4. Getting “Cowboy’d Up” during the Lions Club Rodeo, the largest amateur rodeo in the state. (Each year in June)
5. Floating through the Red Rock Canyons of Gallup on a Hot Air Balloon ride. (Year round)
6. Enjoying the enchantment and enduring the challenge of the incredible mountain bike race, “24 Hours in the Enchanted Forest”, home to the “USA Cycling 24 Hours Nationals” 2013-2014. (Each year in June)
7. Watching the toughest cowboys take on the rankest bulls during the “Wild Thing Championship Bull Riding” (Each year in July)
8. Having Christmas all year long by combining red & green chili on almost everything we eat in Gallup.
9. Getting to know many Native cultures through award winning art, traditional dance, and storytelling at the Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial. (Each year in August)
10. An exhilarating hike and taking in a 360° breathtaking view from 7,500 feet, at the summit of “Pyramid Peak” at Red Rock Park. (Year round)
11. Watching hundreds of colorful hot air balloons paint the brilliant blue sky and the red sandstone canyons of Red Rock Park during the Red Rock Balloon Rally. (Each year in December)
12. Visiting the largest of New Mexico’s 19 Pueblos, one of the famous “7 Cities of Gold”, eating fresh baked “oven bread” in Zuni. (Year round)
13. Traveling the “Ancient Way Arts Trail”, visiting El Malpais and El Morro National Monuments all along the state scenic byway of highway 53. (Year round)
14. Discovering the way of life of the Anasazi (“the Ancient Ones”) and some of what they left behind at the World Historic Site, Chaco Canyon.
15. Spending a sunny in downtown Gallup enjoying the historic sites and nine beautiful hand painted murals.
16. Sharing big piece of authentic, fresh, and hot Navajo fry bread with honey and powdered sugar.
17. Learning about and appreciating all that the Navajo Code Talkers accomplished while serving our country at the Gallup Cultural Center and Code Talker display at the Gallup McKinley County Chamber of Commerce.
18. Participating in the Squash Blossom Classic ½ marathon, or just taking a leisurely run, on the scenic “High desert Trail”. (Squash Blossom Classic every September)
19. Having a howling good time at the Wolf Sanctuary.
20. Spending time with the stars at the historic El Rancho Hotel “Home of the Movie stars”.
21. Getting a great deal on beautiful Native American art while you enjoy some of our authentic southwestern food.
22. Getting away to cool place even when it’s over 90° at the Ice Caves.
23. Taking in the “Land of Enchantment Opera” in your best jeans, boots, and cowboy hat.
24. Bargain hunting and meeting at the Gallup Flea Market.
25. Spending time in a real “Trading Post” somewhat changed but not forgotten in Gallup.