Combination/Cable Network Technician - Yatahey, NM
Job Information: The Combination/Cable Network Technician position is a fulltime position located in Yatahey/Gallup, New Mexico. The primary focus of which is to test, service, install and repair various telecom Network elements such as Copper, Fiber optic, DSL, PON, special circuits, Ethernet, ATM and voice services. This position has a strong focus on installing, lighting up, maintaining, and repairing OSP Fiber Plant. This position requires exceptional trouble shooting, splicing, diagnostics, computer and communication skills and reports directly to the Director of Engineering.
• Installs, tests and repairs copper, fiber and network equipment. Documents all activity and reports on each job performed.
• Works closely with Engineering and Management to assist with designing new projects, updates plant records on existing coper and Fiber Optic network.
• Responds after hours and weekends to emergency fiber repair scenarios.
• Assists on and inspects all FTTH installations performed by field technicians and Construction.
• Constantly works with Engineering to maintain all Fiber records and databases to ensure all best practices and industry standards are met.
• Stays up to date with any new technological advances in OSP, FTTH and Fiber plant installation and maintenance methods, keeping management informed of such.
• Receives and analyzes trouble reports, pinpoints cause, and corrects the trouble.
• Locates buried network facilities such as Fiber optic and Copper.
• Modular Splices 710 & MST connectors on all copper cables 25 pair or larger.
• Performs all aspects of fiber optic splicing including fusion & mechanical splicing.
• Rehab and piece out cables as needed.
• Provides as built drawings on all issued work orders.
• Verifies, tags and reports cable counts to Engineering cable facility records.
• Inspects and accepts/declines OSP construction by contactors.
• Housekeeping of all Man Holes, Hand Holes, pedestals and terminals.
• Works with aerial and buried plant in all weather conditions.
• Troubleshoots fiber optic, copper, DSL and ATM circuits.
• Assists other departments remotely to troubleshoot Network equipment.
• Safely operates equipment such as: aerial truck, trenchers, power augers, snow machines, bucket trucks, tractors, etc.
• Handles emergency after hour callouts.
• Works evenings and weekends if required.
• Warehouse inventory & stocking duties – verifies own inventory.
• Maintains the efficient operation, appearance and records of assigned vehicle and equipment.
• Customer focused; ensures customer service is consistently provided to all customers.
• Demonstrate excellent, professional interpersonal communication skills and able to work with limited supervision in high performance, team environment.
• Maintains a professional appearance and hygiene.
• Performs other responsibilities as required to fulfill job function.
• At least 5 years’ experience in installing, repairing, and testing various types of Network facilities, copper, fiber, wireless, IP based telecommunications.
• Strong Fiber Optic Plant knowledge in testing, termination, maintenance, and repair.
• Ability to read and interpret network plant facility prints in a digital format.
• Ability to bend, stoop, squat and lift overhead for long periods of time
• Must be physically fit to perform job (must be able to lift 70 lbs.).
• Ability to work in all types of weather.
• Willing and able to work unscheduled overtime.
• Able to climb poles up to 20’.
• Able to climb various ladders up to and including 30’ extensions.
• Must be able to perceive differences in wire and cable colors.
• Proficient in Windows OS, Microsoft office suite & other software programs that may be required.
• At least 5 years’ experience repairing POTS facilities.
• Cross training capabilities for CO and/or RF departments.
• At least 5 years’ experience in splicing Network facilities such as Copper & Fiber Optics.
• At least 5 years’ experience installing and troubleshooting T1, DSO, Digital loop carrier, High speed internet, and Ethernet circuits.
• Working knowledge of various test equipment- Side kick, 965 DSP, EXFO, OTDR’s.
• Working knowledge of locate equipment for buried Fiber optics, Copper cable.
• Electronics training or experience that demonstrates knowledge of AC/DC theory & electrical circuitry.
• Must have in-depth knowledge of home/sotto network terms, including IP, DHCP, PON, Wi-Fi, RJ45, etc.
• Valid State driver’s license is required.
• High School Graduate or equivalent.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in telephone network or related fields.
• Must live within 45 minutes of reporting location.
This job specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all Inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those Contained in this document and may require to have specific job-related knowledge and skills. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on business needs and conditions. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment drug test and background check. Sacred Wind Communications Inc. complies with the Navajo Preference in Employment Act and EEO. Sacred Wind Communications Inc. is An Equal Opportunity Employer.